USDA Reminds Agricultural Producers to Report Damage or Losses Following Inclement Weather

Dan Crop Insurance, Economy, USDA-FSA

inclement weather
High wind damaged, flattened leek on onion farmland with onions growing above ground almost ready to be harvested.
By Wirestock/DepositPhotos image

During the spring time of the year we do see inclement weather conditions, something that has occurred quite a bit over the past few weeks across the country.

Due to this, the USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA) wants to remind agricultural producers to report damage or losses following inclement weather.

In a release, Georgia FSA State Executive Director Arthur Tripp, Jr. said, “Weather can be unpredictable and harmful to many of our producers’ agricultural operations. It is vital that our producers report any damage or losses to their local USDA Service Center as soon as possible following inclement weather events in order to receive the federal assistance available to help them recover.”


For FSA crop and livestock disaster recovery assistance and program benefits, a Notice of Loss must be reported as soon as the loss occurs or is apparent. How and when to file a Notice of Loss differs by programs. Click here for more information on common FSA forms and how to report losses.

FSA offers many programs to help producers recover from losses, including the Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP), the Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees, and Farm-Raised Fish Program (ELAP), Emergency Forest Restoration Program (EFRP), and the Tree Assistance Program (TAP). Plus, producers in counties receiving a primary or contiguous disaster designation are eligible for low-interest emergency loans to help them recover from production and physical losses.

For more information, contact FSA at your local USDA Service Center.