The USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) recently announced the availability of $65 million through two funding opportunities to further natural resource conservation on private lands.
Through the Conservation Innovation Grants (CIG) program, NRCS is being directed to prioritize CIG On-Farm Trials projects that use diet and feed management to reduce enteric methane emissions from ruminants, as well as other projects that have climate mitigation benefits.
For CIG On-Farm Trials, the funding priorities are:
- Irrigation water management technologies
- Nutrient management
- Feeding management and enteric methane reduction
- Grazing lands
- Soil health demonstration trials
For CIG Classic, the funding priorities are:
- Habitat conservation and restoration for wildlife and invertebrates
- Managing agricultural lands to improve local water quality·Energy conservation
- Strengthening conservation through indigenous knowledge
Applications will be accepted through October 30, 2023.