USDA-NRCS in Georgia Announces Sign-Up for Conservation Easements Program

Dan Agricultural Conservation Easement Program – Wetland Reserve Easements (ACEP-WRE), Agricultural Land Easements (ALE), Conservation, Environment, Georgia, USDA-NRCS, Water, Wetland


The USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) in Georgia (NRCS-GA) has announced a sign-up for the Agricultural Conservation Easement Program (ACEP) for fiscal year 2024.

The ACEP is a program that has two components, known as Agricultural Land Easements (ALE) and Wetlands Reserve Easements (WRE).

Georgia State Conservationist Terrance O. Rudolph said, “ACEP is a great way for landowners and eligible entities to conserve, restore and protect our nation’s wetlands, productive agricultural lands and grasslands. NRCS is proud to work alongside our customers that have allowed us to become the largest easement holder and steward in the nation.”


ACEP-WRE applications are accepted directly from producers on eligible lands. These easements will restore and enhance wetlands and improve habitat. Eligible lands include farmed, prior converted or forested wetlands that can be successfully and cost-effectively restored. Applications will be ranked according to the easement’s potential for protecting and enhancing habitat for migratory birds, fish, and other wildlife.

Applications for the ACEP-ALE are accepted from eligible entities only. These eligible entities may submit proposals to NRCS to acquire a conservation easement on eligible agricultural land. NRCS does not accept applications for ACEP-ALE directly from producers. Producers will need to work with an eligible entity to pursue funding for an ACEP-ALE conservation easement. Some examples of eligible entities include Land Trusts and Land Conservancies. Land types that could be eligible for ACEP-ALE include cropland, rangeland, grassland, pastureland and nonindustrial private forestland with prime and statewide important soils.

All applications must be submitted to Georgia NRCS by October 6, 2023, for both ACEP-ALE (from the eligible entity) and ACEP-WRE (from producers with eligible wetlands). Conservation program applications are available at your local USDA Service Center and at our Application and Forms web page.