commodity commission

U.S. Cotton Production Down from Last Year

Clint Thompson Alabama, Cotton, Florida, Georgia

commodity commission

USDA’s National Agricultural Statistics Service released its August crop reports today and Chris Hawthorn, field crops section head with NASS in Washington D.C., says the U.S. cotton production estimate is down 9% from last year’s crop.

All cotton production is forecast at 18.1 million 480-pound bales, down 9% from 2019. All cotton planted area totaled 12.2 million acres, unchanged from the previous estimate but down 11%from 2019. All cotton area harvested is forecast at 9.25 million acres, down 20% from 2019.

As of Aug. 2, 45% of the cotton acreage was rated in good-to-excellent condition compared with 54% at the same time last year. 54% of the acreage had set bolls by Aug. 2, one percentage point behind last year and one percentage point behind the five?year average.

Cotton production in Georgia is forecast at 2.55 million bales, down 7% from last year. In Alabama, production is forecast at 950,000 bales, down 8% from 2019. Florida production is expected to total 165,000 bales, 20% below last year.

In summary, all cotton production is forecast at 18.1 million 480-pound bales, down 9% from 2019.

This is Chris Hawthorn with the USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service.