USDA Reminds Producers to Complete Crop Acreage Reports

Clint Thompson Alabama, Florida, Georgia


Agricultural producers who have not yet completed their crop acreage reports after spring planting are being reminded to make an appointment with their local Farm Service Agency (FSA) office before the July 15 deadline. While that date is a major deadline for most crops, acreage reporting deadlines do vary by county and by crop. Contact your FSA county office for acreage reporting deadlines that are specific to your county.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, FSA has implemented acreage reporting flexibilities. It can work with producers to file timely acreage reports by phone, email, online tools and virtual meetings. Some FSA offices are open for in-person appointments, but you must call first to make an appointment.

Many FSA offices are using Microsoft Teams software to virtually meet with producers to review maps and documents for certification. Producers who want to schedule a virtual appointment can download the Microsoft Teams app on their smart phone or tablet and call the FSA office for an appointment. You may also use Microsoft Teams from your personal computer without downloading software.  

County offices can provide producers with maps along with instructions for completing and returning the maps through either mail, email or through commercially available free and secure online tools. After planting is complete, producers should return completed maps and the acreage reporting sheet by the applicable deadline.

After completed maps and all acreage reporting information is received, FSA will make software updates and send producers the completed Report of Acreage form (FSA-578) to sign. Producers must return the signed form certifying their acreage report to the FSA office through mail, email or online by the applicable deadline.

Applications can also be submitted for the Wildfire and Hurricane Indemnity Program Plus for 2018 and 2019 as well as other disaster assistance programs that may be able to assist producers at this time.

For questions, please call your FSA county office, or visit