storm system

24 Georgia Counties Designated as Primary Natural Disaster Areas

Dan Georgia, Industry News Release

natural disaster

Emergency Support to Producers in Surrounding Counties/Border States Also Available

(USDA/FSA) — Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue designated 24 Georgia counties as primary natural disaster areas. Producers who suffered losses due to recent drought may be eligible for U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Farm Service Agency (FSA) emergency loans.

The Georgia counties with the primary natural disaster designation include Banks, Bartow, Carroll, Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, Dawson, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gilmer, Gwinnett, Habersham, Hall, Henry, Lumpkin, Paulding, Pickens, Twiggs, White, and Wilkinson.

This natural disaster designation allows FSA to extend much-needed emergency credit to producers recovering from natural disasters. Emergency loans can be used to meet various recovery needs including the replacement of essential items such as equipment or livestock, reorganization of a farming operation or the refinance of certain debts.


Producers in the contiguous Georgia counties of Baldwin, Barrow, Bibb, Bleckley, Butts, Fannin, Floyd, Franklin, Gordon, Haralson, Heard, Houston, Jackson, Johnson, Jones, Laurens, Madison, Meriwether, Murray, Newton, Polk, Rabun, Rockdale, Spalding, Stephens, Towns, Troup, Union, Walton, and Washington, along with Cleburne and Randolph counties in Alabama, and Oconee County, South Carolina, are also eligible to apply for emergency loans.

The deadline to apply for these emergency loans is June 24, 2020.

FSA will review the loans based on the extent of losses, security available and repayment ability.

FSA has a variety of additional programs to help farmers recover from the impacts of this disaster. FSA programs that do not require a disaster declaration include: Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees and Farm-Raised Fish ProgramEmergency Conservation ProgramLivestock Forage Disaster ProgramLivestock Indemnity ProgramOperating and Farm Ownership Loans; and the Tree Assistance Program.

Farmers may contact their local USDA service center for further information on eligibility requirements and application procedures for these and other programs. Additional information is also available online at

Source: USDA/FSA