Hurricane Idalia Disaster Assistance Available for Florida Producers

Dan Conservation, Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) program, Environment, Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP), Florida, USDA-NRCS

hurricane idalia

Florida agricultural operations that were impacted by Hurricane Idalia and related weather events are being reminded there is technical and financial assistance available to help you recover. Producers should contact their local USDA Service Center to report losses and learn more about program options available to assist in their recovery from crop, land, infrastructure and livestock losses and damages.

The Natural Resources Conservation Service in Florida (NRCS-FL) Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) can play a vital role in assisting producers. Through EQIP, NRCS provides financial assistance to repair and prevent the excessive soil erosion caused or impacted by natural disasters.

NRCS also administers the?Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) program, which?assists?local government sponsors with the cost of addressing watershed impairments or hazards.?The EWP Program is a recovery effort aimed at relieving imminent hazards to life and property caused by floods, fires, windstorms and other natural disasters. All projects must have an eligible project sponsor.?Threats that the EWP Program addresses are termed watershed impairments. These include, but are not limited to debris-clogged waterways, unstable streambanks, severe erosion jeopardizing public infrastructure and wind-borne debris removal. Potential sponsors should contact their local NRCS office.


NRCS-FL is currently accepting applications for the EQIP, Conservation Stewardship Program, climate-smart practices through EQIP and CSP funded by the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA), and the Regional Conservation Partnership Program.

While NRCS accepts applications year-round, Florida producers and landowners should apply for these programs by November 17, 2023, to be considered for funding in the FY2024 current cycle.

For more information, contact NRCS at your local USDA Service Center.