By Clint Thompson
The Georgia Peanut Commission (GPC) is collaborating with restaurants across the state this week to promote peanuts with Georgia peanut-inspired dishes for the second annual Georgia Peanut Restaurant Week.
Hannah Jones, project coordinator for research and education for GPC, discussed how this week helps bring awareness to peanuts being a viable option at restaurants across Georgia.
“The Georgia Peanut Commission has teamed up with 12 chefs in 12 different restaurants across the state in seven different cities, including Athens, Atlanta, Blue Ridge, Columbus, Savannah, Saint Simons and Tifton. This is the second year we’ve done this. We had great success with it last year. The chefs create peanut-inspired dishes. There’s everything from barbecue octopus, boiled peanut ice cream and regular peanut butter pie,” Jones said. “Basically, it’s to bring awareness to restaurant goers and consumers who may not think about eating peanuts while dining out.
“Last year some of the chefs had to reorder in the middle of the week because they were running out of ingredients because it was such a hit.”
Georgia Peanuts Restaurant Week occurs in select markets across Georgia from Oct. 4 through Oct. 9.
The selected chefs and some of their featured dishes include:
- Athens Chef Jessica Rothacker, Heirloom Café, peanut-inspired dishes include Grilled Okra with Spicy Peanut Sauce, Tofu Scramble with Peanut Vinaigrette, West African Inspired Peanut Stew, and Peanut Butter Delight.
- Atlanta Chef Past Pascarella, Bastone and White Bull, will feature Farro Gamelli with Oxtail, Radicchio, Funduta and Fried Peanuts.
- Atlanta Chef Karl Gorline, The Woodall, will feature BBQ Octopus Sous Vide with Peanut Oil, Peanuts and Salsa Matcha Puree.
- Atlanta Chef Robert Butts, Twisted Soul Cookhouse & Pours, will feature Marinated Grilled Flank Galbi, Roasted Peanut Frisée Slaw, Peanut Garlic Chili Oil and Cornbread Dust.
- Atlanta Chef Nick Leahy, Nick’s Westside, will feature Peanut Crusted Skate Wing with Peanut Succotash.
- Atlanta Chef Matt Basford, Canoe, will feature Peanut Macarons with Chocolate Mousse, Dulce, Chantilly, Caleb’s Boiled Peanut Ice Cream.
- Atlanta Chef Parnass Savang, Talat Market, will feature a Papaya and Peanut Salad with Cherry Tomato, Long Bean, Garlic, Chili, Dry Shrimp, Fish Sauce and Lime.
- Blue Ridge Chef Danny Mellman, Harvest on Main, will offer Green Peanut Hummus with Roasted Peanut Collard fritter and Sorghum-Onion Mustard.
- Columbus Chef Jamie Keating, Epic Restaurant, has created Peanut Crusted Rack of Lamb.
- Savannah Pastry Chef Rebecca “Peanut” Ayers, Cotton & Rye, created Georgia Peanut and Brown Butter Parsnip Tart.
- Simons Chef Dave Snyder, Halyard’s Restaurant, Tramici, La Plancha has created several dishes including Fried Chicken Bowl over Mexican Rice with Black Beans with Roasted GA Peanut Salsa, a Pappardelle with Wild Georgia White Shrimp tossed with a Green Peanut Pesto, and Georgia Peanut Butter Pie with Roasted Peanuts.
- Tifton Chef David Scarborough, The Local, has created several dishes including an African Peanut Soup with a cucumber relish.
“Be sure to check with social media or the restaurant because they do vary with days and hours of operation,” Jones said.