documents

USDA Announces Second Round of Funding for Feral Swine Program

Clint Thompson Pork, USDA-NRCS

USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) announced this week it is accepting applications from non-federal, not-for-profit partners for projects to help agricultural producers and private landowners trap and control feral swine. This is all part of the Feral Swine Eradication and Control Pilot Program (FSCP), where NRCS is making $12 million available. Applications for this second round of funding will be accepted until Nov. 5, 2020. This program is available in parts of eight priority states, which includes Alabama.

FSCP is a joint effort between NRCS and USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), and these new pilot projects and areas were selected in coordination with NRCS state conservationists, APHIS state directors, and state technical committees to address feral swine issues and damage in areas with high densities.

The pilot projects consist broadly of three coordinated components: 1) feral swine removal by APHIS; 2) restoration efforts supported by NRCS; and 3) assistance to producers for feral swine control provided through partnership agreements with non-federal partners. Projects can be one to three years in duration and are planned to conclude at the end of Fiscal Year 2023 (Sept. 30, 2023).

The funding limit for a single award is $1.5 million. NRCS may provide up to 75% of the costs for the partnership agreement. The remaining 25% must be committed by the partner through cash or in-kind contributions as listed in the Notice of Funding Opportunity.

Applications must be submitted through Grants.gov by 5 p.m. Eastern Time on Nov. 5, 2020. The opportunity number is USDA-NRCS-MULTI-FSCP-20-NOFO0001036.