This is a day you can add something delicious, and good for you, to your menu. Cathy Isom fills us in about a day of celebration and appreciation for a sweet, heart-shaped fruit. That’s coming up on This Land of Ours.
They’re a beautiful bright red, have seeds on the outside, and their sweetness can brighten up any dish. Or, they can be eaten on their own. Of course, I’m talking about Strawberries. And every year on February 27th, these juicy berries are celebrated with their very own National Strawberry Day. Strawberries have over 600 varieties. Grown just about everywhere around the world. Excellent source of Vitamin C, folic acid, potassium and fiber. At just 55 calories and zero fat in 1 cup, these sweet things hit the spot when a snack time is calling. Add them to cereal or to yogurt. Or you can dip them in chocolate! While the best season for strawberries is from late April to August, now might be a good time to scout out strawberry festivals and pick-your-own farms. Or plan to plant your own strawberry patch. Some ways to celebrate National Strawberry day, include grabbing a handful and snacking, or trying a new recipe, such as a Strawberry Pretzel Salad, a Strawberry-Banana Smoothie, Strawberry Pizza, or Strawberries and Cream Bread Pudding.
I’m Cathy Isom…
- 10slices dry hard honey-wheat bread or 10 slices of dry hard whole grain bread
- 1(8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1cup milk
- 2teaspoons vanilla
- 1?2teaspoon salt
- 3?4-1cup white sugar
- 2 1?2cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 1?2cups sliced frozen strawberries, drained (optional)
- Pam cooking spray
- Lay out 10 slices of bread on board. Usually overnight until it is dry and hard.
- Break into two or three inch pieces. Set aside.
- In medium mixing bowl add eggs, milk, vanilla and salt. Wisk to whip and mix.
- In large mixing bowl add cream cheese and sugar. Mix well.
- Add egg milk mixture a little at a time until cream cheese and egg milk mixture is totally mixed.
- Fold in 2 cups sliced strawberries, reserving 1/2 cup for the top.
- Add the hard bread pieces and mix.
- Preheat oven 350*.
- Spray Pam into two quart casserole.
- Put mixed bread mixture in casserole.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup reserved strawberries on top.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes, covered.