The USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) has made available $65 million through two funding opportunities to further natural resource conservation on private lands. It’s all through the Conservation Innovation Grants (CIG) program, where NRCS is prioritizing CIG On-Farm Trials projects that use diet and feed management to reduce enteric methane emissions from ruminants, as well as other projects that have climate mitigation benefits.
For CIG On-Farm Trials, this year’s funding priorities are:
- Irrigation water management technologies
- Nutrient management
- Feeding management and enteric methane reduction
- Grazing lands
- Soil health demonstration trials
For CIG Classic, this year’s funding priorities are:
- Habitat conservation and restoration for wildlife and invertebrates
- Managing agricultural lands to improve local water quality
- Energy conservation
- Strengthening conservation through indigenous knowledge
Applications are being accepted through October 30, 2023.