The U.S. Department of Agriculture has released their August Cattle on Feed Report, and the updated numbers show Cattle and calves on feed for the slaughter market in the U.S. was 11.1 million head on August 1, 2021. That is 2 percent below August 1, 2020. And according to a story from Gary Crawford, the report gives more hints of a downturn in beef production next year and an increase in cattle prices.
Placements in feedlots during July totaled 1.74 million head, 8 percent below 2020. Net placements were 1.68 million head.
During July, placements of cattle and calves weighing less than 600 pounds were 375,000 head
- 600-699 pounds were 255,000 head
- 700-799 pounds were 410,000 head
- 800-899 pounds were 424,000 head
- 900-999 pounds were 205,000 head
- 1,000 pounds and greater were 70,000 head
Marketing’s of fed cattle during July totaled 1.90 million head, 5 percent below 2020.