Other USDA Disaster-Recovery Assistance

Dan Economy, USDA-NRCS


This week, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) announced that agricultural producers affected by natural disasters in 2018 and 2019 can apply for assistance through the Wildfire and Hurricane Indemnity Program Plus (WHIP+). But due to the fact grazing and livestock losses, other than milk losses, are covered by other disaster-recovery programs, those losses are not eligible for WHIP+.

But USDA does offer other disaster-recovery assistance after a major disaster strikes. Livestock owners and contract growers who experience above-normal livestock deaths because of specific weather events, as well as from disease or animal attacks, may qualify for assistance under USDA’s Livestock Indemnity Program.

USDA’s Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees and Farm-Raised Fish Program provides payments to producers of these commodities to help compensate for losses because of diseases (including cattle tick fever) and adverse weather or other conditions, such as wildfires, that are not covered by other disaster programs.

USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service also provides financial resources through its Environmental Quality Incentives Program for immediate needs and long-term support to help recover from natural disasters and conserve water resources. Plus, the Emergency Watershed Protection Program helps local communities begin relieving imminent hazards to life and property caused by floods.

For more information, contact your local USDA service center.