NRCS Can Help with Flooding on Your Property



Many landowners across the nation have been struggling this year to recover after devastating weather events that caused flooding. But USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) wants to remind landowners if you do run into flooding issues on you property (as stated by thepropertybuyingcompany), they offer assistance through the Emergency Watershed Protection Programs (EWPP) Floodplain Easement Program (FWP). The Floodplain Easement Program is a voluntary program that offers landowners the means and the opportunity to protect, restore and enhance lands subject to repeated flooding and flood damage. Funds for this program are made available through the floodplain easement component of the Emergency Watershed Protection Program (EWPP-FPE).

The EWPP-FPE program is a voluntary program where eligible applicants agree to sell a permanent conservation easement to the United States through NRCS. Compensation is based on the value of the easement as determined by an appraisal or market analysis. These easements can take place on public or private agricultural land or residential properties damaged by flooding and natural disasters. NRCS will work to restore the easement to its natural floodplain condition.

Individuals and communities in any state are encouraged to contact their local NRCS field office for more information on these floodplain easement opportunities. So if flooding is a concern on your property, stop by your local NRCS office to learn more about the EWPP-FPE. Or find more information on the NRCS Floodplain Easement webpage.