holiday decorations

Holiday Decorations to Keep Away from Children – Pets

Dan This Land of Ours

holiday decorations

Cathy Isom has a few important tips about the beautiful holiday decorations you will want to keep away from children and pets. That’s coming up on This Land of Ours.

Boughs of holly are okay, but berries are not! Holly leaves, branches and berries are beautiful holiday decorations, but the berries are poisonous to people and pets.

Holly is an evergreen shrub that can grow to be a tree. The leaves are stiff with sharp points and may be edged with white. The berries are hard and bright red.

Swallowing holly berries can cause vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, and drowsiness. Children have had symptoms after swallowing as few as two holly berries. Holly leaves might also cause symptoms if eaten but, because they are prickly, children usually leave them alone.

To prevent poisoning, remove the berries before decorating with fresh holly. Even if the holly is placed out of reach, the berries quickly dry out at indoor temperatures and could fall to the floor where children and pets find them.

I’m Cathy Isom…