Cathy Isom gives you some of the most important reasons why you should mulch your garden. That’s coming up on This Land of Ours.
When it comes to promoting and maintaining healthy soil in our gardens, year after year, it really can’t be done without the magic of mulching. Mulch plays a large role in creating a sustainable ecosystem. Here are some of the most significant impacts mulch has to any garden.
- It reduces evaporation – to keep the soil beneath much moister.
- It improves infiltration – allowing water to get down to the roots of plants.
- Mulching also moderates temperatures, by keeping the sun off the soil and, at night, it’s acting as an insulator so temperatures at the surface level become much more regular.
- When you mulch, you are building soil.
- When the soil remains moist, the life in it is allowed to thrive.
Other very important reasons to mulching your garden.
- It slows erosion and also prevents weeds from finding a way to grow.
- And finally, when a garden is mulched, it just looks nice. Plants will be healthier and free of pest and diseases.
I’m Cathy Isom…
Share this Post