The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is accepting nominations for this award, which has been presented annually since 1994 to environmentally innovative Florida farmers. The award recognizes enterprises that demonstrate leadership in developing and implementing progressive techniques to safeguard the environment and conserve natural resources.
The following environmental practices will be considered in judging nominations for the 2017 Agricultural-Environmental Leadership Award:
– Wildlife protection and Habitat Conservation: Provide a safe, vibrant habitat for wildlife within an agricultural operation.
– Pesticide/Nutrient Management: Use pesticides/nutrients responsibly, maximizing benefits and minimizing potential adverse environmental effects.
– Water Quality: Preserve or improve water quality within or adjacent to an agricultural operation.
– Soil and Water Conservation: Reduce soil erosion, nutrient depletion and water consumption, and enhance water recharge.
– Waste Management/Recycling: Reduce waste by recycling agricultural by-products and waste products on site.
But again, nominations must be submitted to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services by Wednesday, March 1. To learn more about the 2017 Agricultural-Environmental Leadership Award, visit FreshFromFlorida.com.